Luis and I went to Boston to visit family and I was so unsure of what the weather would be like that I sat in my closet for hours overthinking what to pack. I think the key when packing for a short weekend is simple – KEEP. IT. SIMPLE. I tend to overthink my outfits and generally pack more than what is actually needed, which leaves less space in my luggage to bring back gifts, shop for things for myself, or have too many options (yes, it’s possible). And since I’ve been traveling a lot for work, I am trying to get better at packing lighter. Here are some tips that have REALLY helped keep my luggage light and my outfits chic and effortless.
Stick to a simple color palette. White and black has taken over about 80% of my closet and I’m totally okay with that.
- Pack: a leather jacket to wear on the plane.. reduces the bulk in your carry-on
- Pack: a blazer (white or black) to throw over a t-shirt or to pair with jeans. Blazers are a no-brainer for me.
- Pack: shoes that have a chunky heel or wedge, bring one pair of boots, sneakers, and one pair of sandals (wear one of these on the plane) – this covers every base possible. The possibility of you wearing several pairs of heels on your trip is slim (unless you’re okay with walking on the streets in 4 inch pumps).
- Pack: LBDs & LWDs are a must. You can never go wrong with a little black (or white) dress!
- Pack: a soft white t-shirt (you can throw this on under that blazer or tie it and wear with a skirt)
- Pack: a black pencil skirt or high waist short. This is perfect for roaming the city or date night with your girls.
Bring items that can be easily swapped out with each other. High waisted bottoms pair well with crop tops, slim jeans pair well with flowly tops, etc. Repurpose items you wouldn’t normally wear like a dress over a pair of skinny jeans or leggings. If you can’t re-wear a bottom with another one of your tops – you’ll have to pack more. Get it?
Hopefully this was somewhat helpful to you. It’s still very much a work in progress for me but I have about 5 more trips planned this year, so practice should make perfect – right?! 😉 What are your packing tips? I would love to know your thoughts!